Sunday, May 20, 2012

Paddling and Scouting

Last night around 10 p.m., I got a wild hair... I wanted to go paddle the Zumbro River. And so it was. Too late to realistically get anyone to join me, but I was alright with that. The solitude that the river offers is surreal. No noisy boat traffic, which drives me nuts all too often. There is something to be said for floating down a lazily winding river with nothing but your thoughts and the wildlife. And oh, was there wildlife. Throughout the ~12.5 miles I floated today, I saw roughly 30 eagles, countless other raptors, a few deer, and a ?gaggle? of turkeys.

The main reason I was so anxious to get out was to scout some new water for the upcoming smallmouth season. Lots of fishy water, saw quite a few bass, as well as tons of carp. More carp than I would have thought to be honest.

Overall though, the day was fantastic. 65*, overcast with a touch of drizzle, and 10mph winds. As far as I'm concerned, that type of weather is much better than the hot days where you sweat like a pig, and drink more beer than any human should.

















No comments:

Post a Comment